Going to the gym regularly and eating a balanced diet can be a good way to ensure that you are healthy and appear fit and toned, but some people still are left with unwanted fat deposits. These stubborn deposits are most likely caused by genetic and hereditary factors, and can be eliminated with liposuction. Michigan women and men are turning to this procedure to contour and improve the appearance of various parts of the body.
To learn more about liposuction performed in Ann Arbor and Jackson, Michigan, by board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Pramit Malhotra, request a complimentary consultation or call our Jackson office at (517) 789-9800 or our Ann Arbor office at (734) 913-5100. Dr. Malhotra is committed to "beauty revealed," seeing his patients for who they are and who they can be.
Selecting Your Surgeon
- Liposuction is really 3-dimensional body sculpting. It is easy to remove too much fat in one place and not enough in another. Many surgeons perform this procedure very quickly which is why results for this procedure vary greatly between surgeons. Choose a surgeon that seems to have a keen aesthetic sense. Sometimes it is apparent as soon as you walk in the office or meet the surgeon.
- A huge proportion of laser liposuction providers are not plastic surgeons, or even surgeons. It is easy for general practitioners to purchase a laser liposuction machine and within 3 days of training start to perform procedures. This seems unbelievable but once you are a physician with a state license you can perform any type of procedure you want in your clinic.
- Find a surgeon that has privileges at a hospital to perform liposuction. Hospitals will only give privileges to perform liposuction in Michigan if you have had the proper training.
- Your surgeon should give you realistic expectations of what is possible and the expected outcome.
Meet Dr. Malhotra
Dr. Malhotra is board certified in plastic surgery and otolaryngology, and performs both surgical and non-surgical treatments.
Liposuction can be performed on a multitude of body parts to contour and eliminate fat deposits, including:
- Chin and Neck
- Upper Arms
- Stomach and Love Handles
- Outer and Inner Thighs
Many liposuction patients report that their clothes fit better and that they are happier with their appearance. Liposuction can be combined with other procedures for better results like tummy tucks, breast lifts, facelift surgery or even breast augmentation in Michigan.
- Your surgeon should discuss all types of liposuction, including powered liposuction, ultrasound/laser assisted liposuction, and alternatives such as CoolSculpting™.
- Typically less is less. Make sure your provider performs all types of liposuction before they offer you a small procedure because it may be that the small procedure is all they perform.
- For the abdomen, liposuction and tummy tucks do very different things. As a rule, excess skin that hangs has to be surgically removed through an abdominoplasty.
- Have your liposuction incisions placed asymmetrically so people don't see small incisions in a line around your waist when you are at the beach.
Candidates for liposuction understand that this procedure is not a substitute for proper diet and exercise. Patients who are close to their ideal body weight may see optimal results from a liposuction procedure.
During the liposuction procedure, a small incision is created and a tube or "cannula" is inserted and used to suction out the fatty tissue beneath the skin. We often perform power liposuction where a small motor is attached to the liposuction cannula to remove more fat with less disturbance than traditional liposuction.
Dr. Malhotra will review all liposuction treatment options with you during your consultation.
New techniques allow for faster recovery from liposuction procedures. The length of the recovery will vary based on several factors. Time off from work may require anywhere from 2 to 7 days. A support garment will need to be worn after the procedure.