Male Breast Reduction
Overdeveloped male breast tissue, called gynecomastia, can be embarrassing for any man. This condition may be caused by an overstimulation or an over-response to hormonal or environmental changes. This is a common problem among men, even for ones who otherwise have a normal body weight and have tried dieting and exercise.
Male breast reduction can help Jackson and Ann Arbor, Michigan, men with gynecomastia eliminate visible breasts. Dr. Pramit Malhotra, a board-certified plastic surgeon, is skilled and experienced in this procedure. If you are considering male breast reduction, request a complimentary consultation, or call our Jackson office at (517) 789-9800 or our Ann Arbor office at (734) 913-5100. Dr. Malhotra is committed to "beauty revealed," a concept that applies both to women and men who want to feel comfortable in their own skin.
Meet Dr. Malhotra
Dr. Malhotra is board certified in plastic surgery and otolaryngology, and performs both surgical and non-surgical treatments.
Men with excess fat and breast tissue on their chests can benefit from male breast reduction. This procedure creates a more masculine chest contour by removing fat tissue and any excess skin for a firm, flat appearance. Male breast reduction surgery also may help relieve self-consciousness.
- A combination of tissue removal with liposuction in Jackson or Ann Arbor, Michigan, is often necessary. Liposuction alone can be used in rare cases.
- The fibrous tissue underneath the nipple will not typically go away with weight loss. This means that even if you follow a healthy diet and exercise regularly, the feminine chest appearance can remain.
- Most men experience some form of this condition at some point in their lives. Even athletes and body builders can suffer from gynecomastia.
- Nipple sensation is typically lost with this procedure. Most men find the loss of sensation to be an acceptable tradeoff and this result troubles very few patients.
- This procedure doesn't build muscle but does accentuate your existing muscles. The key to a pleasing result is to accentuate the natural pectoral muscle below in the correct places.
Patients considering male breast reduction are usually of 3 types:
- Young men who have developed breast tissue after puberty and don't feel comfortable with their shirts off for athletics or swimming.
- Fitness-conscious men who are in very good shape but have some extra chest tissue that is visible in tighter T shirts or clothes.
- Men who have lost massive amounts of weight and have extra skin and fat that needs to be surgically excised.
Talking with a qualified surgeon will determine whether or not you are a candidate for male breast reduction.
This procedure involves making a half-moon incision in the area where the pigmented areola meets normal skin. The fibrous tissue underneath the nipple that can be felt as a firm mass is completely excised. The liposuction cannula (tube) is then used to sculpt the chest wall. Tissue can be strategically left to enhance the shape of the pectoralis (chest) muscle below.
After surgery you will have a wrap placed around your chest to apply pressure. Patients take between 4 to 9 days off of work for this procedure depending on their occupation. Dr. Malhotra does not use a separate incision for a drainage tube. This allows patients to recover faster.