Gravity and aging are but a few reasons why our skin loses its elasticity and starts to sag. Also, genetics may play a part in excess fat or skin present in the neck and underneath the chin. A neck lift in Ann Arbor and Jackson, Michigan, can help to improve the contours of the neck, chin, and jaw line by removing excess skin and fat that lead to a heavier, older appearance.
To learn more about a neck lift performed by board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Pramit Malhotra, request a complimentary consultation, or call our Jackson office at (517) 789-9800 or our Ann Arbor office at (734) 913-5100. Dr. Malhotra is committed to "beauty revealed," seeing his patients for who they are and who they can be.
Meet Dr. Malhotra
Dr. Malhotra is board certified in plastic surgery and otolaryngology, and performs both surgical and non-surgical treatments.
For a smoother and tighter neck area, many of our patients consider a neck lift. A neck lift procedure may:
- Provide a more youthful appearance
- Tighten loose or saggy skin of the neck, chin and jaw
- Remove excess fat from the chin and neck
- Require minimal downtime
A neck lift may also be combined with procedures such as a face lift. Dr. Malhotra often uses liposuction in his Jackson and Ann Arbor, Michigan, offices to remove excess fat in this area of the face as well. Many of our patients report that a neck lift enhanced their self-confidence and was what they needed for a rejuvenated appearance.
- Liposuction alone can often improve the neck contour when done through 4 tiny incisions instead of just 1 under the chin.
- You may need a procedure called plastysmaplasty if you have bands of muscle that show when you contract your neck.
- Quick recovery techniques with tumescent anesthesia dramatically reduce swelling and bruising.
- For men, a neck lift with a small extension in front of the ear can often produce more natural results than a full facelift.
- Some patients can have a limited neck lift procedure using liposuction and a small 3.5 cm incision in the crease below their chin.
Candidates for a neck lift have excess skin or fat underneath the chin and jaw in the neck area. Patients have realistic expectations about what a neck lift can do for them.
There are 4 common procedures used for our neck lift patients:
- Chin and neck liposuction: This involves 2 small 6 mm incisions in the chin crease, and one near each ear. This procedure does a good job of addressing fat in the central neck area.
- Limited incision neck lift: This involves liposuction of the neck and jaw line, and a 3.5 cm incision in the crease underneath the chin. This can help people who have heavier necks with tissue concentrated in the central neck.
- Neck lift: This involves liposuction, incisions under the chin, and incisions behind the ear. This will remove excess skin and give the best results.
- Extended neck lift: This is a procedure that we have designed to include the benefits of a neck lift but address some jowl and jaw line issues as well. This procedure involves a small extension of the neck lift incision from behind the ear to in front of the ear.
Typical recovery time for a neck lift is about 7 to 9 days.