Gravity and aging are but a few reasons why our skin loses its elasticity and starts to sag. Also, genetics may play a part in excess fat or skin present in the neck and underneath the chin. A neck lift in Ann Arbor and Jackson, Michigan can help to improve the contours of the neck, chin, and jaw line by removing excess skin and fat that lead to a heavier, older appearance.
To learn more about a neck lift performed by board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Pramit Malhotra, request a consultation, or call our Jackson office at (517) 789-9800 or our Ann Arbor office at (734) 913-5100. Our team is committed to “beauty revealed,” seeing his patients for who they are and who they can be.
For a smoother and tighter neck area, many of our patients consider a neck lift. A neck lift procedure may:
- Provide a more youthful appearance
- Tighten loose or saggy skin of the neck, chin, and jaw
- Remove excess fat from the chin, and neck
- Require minimal downtime
A neck lift may also be combined with procedures such as a facelift. Dr. Malhotra often uses liposuction in his Jackson and Ann Arbor, Michigan offices to remove excess fat in this area of the face as well. Many of our patients report that a neck lift enhanced their self-confidence and was what they needed for a rejuvenated appearance.
- Liposuction alone can often improve the neck contour when done through 4 tiny incisions instead of just 1 under the chin.
- You may need a procedure called plastysmaplasty if you have bands of muscle that show when you contract your neck.
- Quick recovery techniques with tumescent anesthesia dramatically reduce swelling and bruising.
- For men, a neck lift with a small extension in front of the ear can often produce more natural results than a full facelift.
- Some patients can have a limited neck lift procedure using liposuction and a small 3.5 cm incision in the crease below their chin.
Candidates for a neck lift have excess skin or fat underneath the chin, and jaw in the neck area. Patients have realistic expectations about what a neck lift can do for them.
There are 4 common procedures used for our neck lift patients:
- Chin, and neck liposuction: This involves 2 small 6 mm incisions in the chin crease, and one near each ear. This procedure does a good job of addressing fat in the central neck area.
- Limited incision neck lift: This involves liposuction of the neck and jaw line, and a 3.5 cm incision in the crease underneath the chin. This can help people who have heavier necks with tissue concentrated in the central neck.
- Neck lift: This involves liposuction, incisions under the chin, and incisions behind the ear. This will remove excess skin and give the best results.
- Extended neck lift: This is a procedure that we have designed to include the benefits of a neck lift but address some jowl and jaw line issues as well. This procedure involves a small extension of the neck lift incision from behind the ear to in front of the ear.
Typical recovery time for a neck lift is about 7 to 9 days.