If you would like to have beautiful, full breasts that look and feel natural, an ideal way to achieve that goal is breast augmentation. In Michigan, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Pramit Malhotra offers a variety of breast implant sizes, types, and styles to give women more control over their aesthetic outcome. If you are looking to increase the size and enhance the shape of your breasts in Jackson or Ann Arbor, Michigan, breast augmentation may be right for you.
Selecting Your Breast Augmentation Surgeon
When selecting a surgeon for your breast augmentation in Michigan, you should consider several important factors:
- Incision Choice: Find a surgeon who offers a variety of incision choices so you are not steered to a particular type of incision.
- Complication Rates: Talk to your surgeon about complication rates, and ask about the precautions taken to reduce the chance of complications: i.e., using a triple antibiotic wash, talc-free gloves, and a sterile dressing over the incision site.
- Procedure Volume: Select a surgeon who performs breast-enhancement surgery frequently, but if the practice feels like a “Michigan breast augmentation factory,” your surgery may be performed like an assembly line.
- Aesthetic Choices: Describe how you would like your breasts to look. Some patients prefer breasts that are very full and rounded on top for cleavage purposes; others favor the appearance created by more natural-looking, lower breast implants. Michigan plastic surgeon Dr. Malhotra carries a wide variety of breast implant styles and sizes to meet your aesthetic needs.
- Surgical Technique: Consider the surgeon’s technique. Dr. Malhotra uses a triple-layer closure when performing breast augmentation at his Michigan practice. This involves an extra layer of suturing in the fascia, which may help support the implant. Although this additional step takes extra time, Dr. Malhotra believes that anything that can potentially help support the implant over the long term is worthwhile.
Meet Dr. Pramit Malhotra
Dr. Malhotra is board certified in plastic surgery and otolaryngology, and performs both surgical and non-surgical treatments.
Benefits of Breast Augmentation
Women who elect to have breast augmentation at our Michigan practice can benefit in several ways:
- Enhance your body contour by giving you more feminine curves
- Help you feel more attractive and comfortable in your clothing
- Restore lost breast volume after breast feeding or significant weight loss
- Lift the breasts and fill in any hollowness in the upper portion
- Increase firmness and improve the feel of your breasts
- Give you increased self-confidence in your appearance
For Michigan women who are interested in a complete “Mommy Makeover,” a breast augmentation perfectly complements other procedures such as tummy tuck, breast lift, or liposuction. During your initial consultation, Dr. Malhotra would be happy to help you determine which procedures will give you the beautiful results you want.
Below are few of Dr. Malhotra’s tips for a better breast enlargement experience:
- Discuss dual-plane breast augmentation with your surgeon. This technique allows for the placement of breast implants below the muscle, but lifts the breast as if it were above the muscle.
- Find a surgeon who uses quick recovery techniques. This involves not contacting the ribs during surgery, developing the pocket for the breast implants with a bloodless technique, and using long-acting anesthetics in the breast tissue.
- Think carefully about size of your breast implants. For many Michigan women, choosing a size is the most difficult decision when considering a breast augmentation. We use 3 techniques to help make this process easier: picking pictures of breasts you think are attractive, trying on implants with special bras, and using a sizer during surgery to see how the volume you picked looks on you.
- Involve your significant other, but not too much. This is your body and your comfort level, so only choose a size you are comfortable with.
- Understand that nipple sensation can significantly change. You may experience a decrease in nipple sensation after your breast augmentation.
*Patient results may vary.
General Procedure for Breast Implants in Michigan
Breast augmentation for Dr. Malhotra’s Michigan patients involves making a small incision to insert the breast implants in order to enlarge the breast. There are 4 common incision locations: the armpit, nipple, breast fold, and belly button. We offer armpit incisions for silicone breast implants, which is not typically offered by many surgeons.
There are 3 common locations for placing the breast implant: under the pectoralis (chest) muscle, over the muscle, or by using the “dual plane” technique, which combines both methods. The decision on which location to use depends on how much breast tissue you have to cover the implant, which incision you would like, how much of a breast lift you need from the implant, and what type of breast implants you have chosen. Some general guidelines include:
- Armpit incisions typically require placement under the muscle.
- Very small breasts often need extra coverage for breast implants, so they are placed under the muscle.
- Silicone implants can be placed on top of the muscle to allow the implant to maximally lift the breasts.
- Recovery time with implants placed over the muscle (subglandular) is typically less than under the muscle. We use a 48-hour recovery technique for breast implants placed in the subglandular position.
During the breast augmentation procedure at our Michigan practice, the breast tissue is raised to create a pocket under the breast tissue or beneath the chest muscle. Surgeons who have beautiful, natural results take special care in pocket creation.
Breast Augmentation Recovery Process
Dr. Malhotra performs “quick recovery” breast augmentation for his Michigan patients. This means that after surgery you will wear a surgical bra for 1 day. You may then switch to a sports bra. Some patients have even reported going out to dinner the night after their procedure; however, we advise that you speak with Dr. Malhotra about recovery time before resuming any normal activity.