Learn the Cost of Hair Transplants in Ann Arbor
Patients seeking a hair transplant procedure often begin their search by examining the hair restoration cost. Ann Arbor’s Dr. Malhotra, an experienced hair transplant surgeon, can precisely identify the cost of each patient’s unique needs. There are several factors that help determine what a hair restoration patient can expect to pay.
Hair Restoration Cost: Surgery
Hair restoration cost variables related to the surgery itself include your surgeon’s experience, the number of grafts you need, the technique used for obtaining your grafts, and planning for a single-stage or multiple-stage procedure
The art of hair restoration surgery depends on the artistic hairline design by the surgeon, meticulous harvest and placement techniques employed by experienced hair technicians, and adherence to the postoperative care instructions.
The number of grafts needed for surgery is one of the primary determinants of price. The cost per hair implant is typically between $4 to $7 per graft. As the number of grafts increases above 1,000, the cost per graft goes down. The follicular unit extraction (FUE) technique is typically more expensive than the follicular unit transplantation (FUT) strip surgery procedure, though it has several advantages.
Female hair transplant cases often involve fewer grafts (between 500 and 1,500) with a cost range of $4,000 to $8,000. Male pattern baldness patients most commonly have procedures with approximately 2,000-graft cases. The typical cost nationally for this is $8,000 to $12,000.
Hair Transplant Cost Comparison FUE versus Strip
Many patients are confused about the difference in hair transplant cost between the strip (FUT) procedure and the follicular unit extraction (FUE) procedure. The cost difference can be considerable due to a few factors. For patients, who are seeking cases above 2500-3000 grafts. The strip method is an option; however, there would be a scar. Below is a listing of what each procedure entails.
Strip procedure cost breakdown:
- The grafts are cut by technicians reducing the cost per graft
- 2500-4000 hairs can be harvested in one large incision in under an hour
- A 2000 graft case might be in the $7,000 – 8,500 range
FUE procedure cost breakdown:
- Each graft has to be removed individually often taking 3-5 hours
- Technicians typically do not trim grafts
- A 2000 graft case would cost approximately $9,000 – $10,000
Hair Restoration Cost: Multiple Procedures
Patients who have received hair transplantation are typically thrilled with the results. It is not uncommon for men who have had the surgery in their 30s and 40s to come back for additional hair grafting 10 years later. Because of this, we are always very careful with not only planning a great procedure for the current period, but also to plan for these same patients’ hairlines in their 50s and 60s. Per-graft hair restoration costs have decreased and probably will continue to do so as technology improves.
Hair Restoration Cost: More Considerations
Patients receive medications during the procedure, and also to take home. These are typically included in the hair restoration cost. There are some special sprays, shampoos, laser treatments, and ointments that can be purchased as well.
If a complication were to happen with your hair transplant surgery, there could be additional costs. However, our office is well equipped to handle almost all issues in house, allowing our patients to avoid additional charges.
Why Choose Dr. Malhotra
- He is one of a select few plastic surgeons who are double board-certified in plastic surgery and otolaryngology.
- Dr. Malhotra underwent an educational path that required 11 years of training.
- He has been inducted into the American Society of Plastic Surgeons as an honorary member.
- Dr. Malhotra has been recognized by his patients as one of the top Michigan plastic surgeons, as well as receiving the Best of Ann Arbor for Four Consecutive Years for cosmetic surgery.