How to Choose a Hair Transplant Surgeon
Our patients tell us that losing their hair can be a traumatic and challenging process. Many patients struggle with confidence and motivation after hair loss. Hair transplant surgeons can change how you feel when you look in the mirror, but it’s crucial to choose one who is highly qualified and understands your concerns.
A great hair transplant surgeon uses their skill to recreate fullness and a natural-looking hairline. Hair transplantation is an art form, requiring careful placement of each graft to ensure that results look natural and that grafts successfully integrate into the scalp.
Simply put, the quality of your results relies on the skill of your surgeon. This guide provides helpful tips for choosing a surgeon and achieving the best possible results from your FUE or FUT hair restoration in Ann Arbor, MI.
Read on to learn more or schedule a consultation with Dr. Pramit Malhotra, Ann Arbor’s best hair restoration specialist.
Qualifications to Look for in a Hair Transplant Surgeon
Choosing a qualified and experienced hair restoration surgeon is essential to achieve the best possible results. Dr. Malhotra is an accomplished hair transplant surgeon who regularly performs successful hair transplant operations at Ann Arbor Plastic Surgery. Whether you are in Michigan or looking for care elsewhere, Dr. Malhotra highly recommends looking for a surgeon that possesses these essential characteristics:
Regularly Performs Hair Restoration Procedures
Some surgeons specialize in hair loss and hair restoration, while others only perform a few procedures a year. Look for a surgeon that regularly performs hair transplantation surgery.
Dr. Malhotra is a double certified plastic surgeon who specializes in hair restoration. He regularly works with patients experiencing hair loss, restoring hairlines and helping men and women feel more confident in their appearance.
Experience with Your Desired Type of Hair Restoration
There are many types of hair transplantation, each requiring different skills. Some of the most popular methods include:
- FUE Hair Restoration –FUE, short for follicular unit extraction, extracts individual hair follicles and carefully transplants them into areas that require more fullness. FUE doesn’t create a long continous scar and allows patients to wear their hair in short styles after surgery.
- FUE may or may not require shaving the entire head, so this method is less popular for female hair restoration.
- NeoGraft Hair Restoration – NeoGraft is an automated type of FUE that uses a specialized device to harvest and implant hairs. NeoGraft minimizes damage to hair follicles and ensures that each graft is placed with optimal positioning to maximize results. Ann Arbor Plastic Surgery also has the Mamba Trivellini device as well.
- FUT Hair Restoration – FUT, short for follicular unit transplantation, harvests a small strip of tissue from the back of the head. This hair-bearing skin is carefully divided into individual grafts after extraction. FUT allows a surgeon to quickly harvest thousands of grafts and restore hair to a large area. This method of hair restoration leaves a scar at the back of the head, so patients typically choose longer hairstyles to hide this scarring. We recommend FUT to patients that require extensive grafting above 3000 grafts.
If you’re hoping to receive FUE hair restoration, choose a surgeon that specializes in FUE. Dr. Malhotra only performs FUE hair transplantation in Ann Arbor.
Many patients ask, “What will I look like after hair restoration?” One of the best ways to determine how you’ll look after hair transplantation is to look at your surgeon’s photos of past results. Would you be happy if you achieved a similar appearance after your procedure?
Pay special attention to the hairline. Achieving a natural-looking hairline is one of the most challenging parts of hair transplantation.
A Well-Trained and Dedicated Team
Hair transplantation is a complex procedure that requires a full team of professionals to perform properly. Look for a surgeon that has a skilled and experienced team to support them throughout the transplantation process.
Dr. Malhotra relies on a highly experienced staff to assist during hair transplantation. Our team is dedicated to helping you achieve your best results.
Take the First Step Toward Choosing a Hair Transplant Surgeon- Schedule a Consultation
Meeting with potential surgeons is one of the best ways to determine if a hair transplant surgeon is a good fit for your situation. We encourage potential patients to reach out and schedule a consultation if they are interested in learning more about hair restoration options in Ann Arbor and the surrounding communities.
During your consultation, you’ll have the opportunity to ask your surgeon questions and receive personalized advice about the best options for you. Look for a surgeon that is willing to take the time to answer your questions and address concerns. You shouldn’t feel rushed or pressured during your visit.
Asking your surgeon questions can help you to decide if a surgeon is the right fit. Here are some suggested questions to ask your surgeon:
- How often do you perform hair transplantation surgery?
- What training and experience do you have in hair restoration?
- Am I a suitable candidate for hair restoration?
- Are there any non-surgical alternatives to hair restoration that I should consider first?
- How much will my hair restoration cost?
- Do you charge by the procedure, the follicle, or the size of the treatment area?
- How long does hair restoration recovery take?
Schedule A Consultation
Our Michigan plastic surgery specialists understand that the difference is in the details when it comes to achieving your desired results. Visit Dr. Malhotra and Dr. Ballard at our Ann Arbor or Jackson locations to learn more.