Do you feel frustrated because your eyes make you look tired, sad, or angry—even when you’re not? Eyelid and eye lift surgery with Michigan plastic surgeon Dr. Pramit Malhotra can help change that. As we grow older, the skin on our upper lids loosens, and the brow area, particularly on the outside edges of our face, droops. This results in excessive skin around the eyes. The lower lids typically age by accumulating wrinkles, becoming puffy, or looking more drawn as the tissues of the cheek area descend. It’s also common to develop bags under the eyes, and drooping lower eyelids that show white under the iris.
For women and men looking to correct these problems, eyelid or eye lift surgery, technically called blepharoplasty, at our Michigan plastic surgery practice can help rejuvenate the eyes and create a brighter, happier appearance.
Benefits of Eyelid Surgery in Michigan
Eye lift surgery, also called blepharoplasty, may help Michigan women and men significantly improve their appearance and restore a youthful, rested appearance to their eye area. Common benefits of the eye lift surgery procedure include the following:
- Create a more youthful and energetic appearance
- Lift heavy eyelids
- Reduce puffiness in lower lids
- Smooth wrinkles
The eye lift surgery can be performed on either the upper or lower eyelids, or both, depending on your personal appearance goals.
Results of eyelid surgery are long-lasting. While you’ll see results within several weeks following surgery, it may take up to a year for your enhanced appearance to become fully refined.
During your consultation with Dr. Malhotra, you can discuss your specific goals, and he will recommend either lower or upper blepharoplasty, or possibly a combination of both. The eye lift surgery procedure may also be combined with BOTOX Cosmetic or injectable fillers for optimal facial rejuvenation.
Eye Lift Surgery Insider Tips
- There is an art to eyelid and eye lift surgery. Eyelids are part of the face, and the appearance of a drooping lid may also be caused by relaxation of the eyebrow and forehead skin. Additionally, sometimes a drooping eyelid is caused by one of the upper eyelid muscles stretching.
- At our Michigan practice, Dr. Malhotra evaluates the eyelid and eyebrow complex as a whole to determine the causes of your eyelid appearance, and the best way to remedy them. Some patients may need a brow lift in addition to blepharoplasty surgery.
- Avoid the surprised look. This is best accomplished by elevating only the outer half of the brow. Dr. Malhotra uses a special lateral brow lift technique to achieve this.
- Discuss with your doctor if you have dry eyes. Your eye lift surgery can be fine-tuned to account for this.
- Lower eyelid surgery can cause prolonged bruising. Talk with Dr. Malhotra about what he can do to minimize this.
- For many of our eye lift surgery patients in Michigan, Dr. Malhotra can perform blepharoplasty under local anesthesia, which is often more comfortable for patients.
Best Candidates for Eye Lift Surgery in Michigan
The best candidates for eyelid or eye lift surgery include women or men from Michigan or elsewhere who have bags under the lower eyelids, redundant eyelid skin, and/or a tired appearance to their eyes.
In addition, ideal candidates should have a realistic expectation of what eyelid surgery can do for them. It’s also important that candidates are in good overall general health, are non-smokers, and don’t have any serious eye conditions.
Dr. Malhotra and his team understand that there isn’t a “one size fits all” approach to eye lift surgery. He treats each patient as an individual, and works to provide focused, personalized care based on personal goals for each face.
General Procedure for Eye Lift Surgery
Blepharoplasty can be performed under local sedation or general anesthesia, and the doctor can recommend the best choice for you. For our eye lift patients in Michigan, Dr. Malhotra creates incisions for this procedure in the natural wrinkle lines above the upper lid or in the lower lid, hidden just underneath the eyelash line. Skin, muscle, and sometimes fat are removed or contoured.
Recovery Process for Eye Lift Surgery in Michigan
Patients typically will have some swelling or bruising in the eye area. Patients may also experience irritation, dry eyes, and discomfort that can be controlled with cold compresses, lubricating ointment, and medication. In some cases, a patient’s eyes may be loosely covered with gauze after the procedure is finished. Time off from work varies between three to eight days, depending on the patient. Exercise should be avoided for three to four weeks following your procedure.
Dr. Malhotra will give specific instructions about how to care for your eyes during the recovery process, including any medications to take. He will also advise patients about when to schedule a follow-up appointment.
As swelling and bruising subsides, patients should see a smoother, more defined eyelid and area surrounding the eye, as well as a brighter and happier appearance. Lifelong sun protection can help maintain these eye lift surgery results.
Make Eye Lift Surgery Part of Your Overall Plan
Dr. Malhotra and his team are experts in the field of cosmetic treatments for both women and men. They excel at meeting with patients and creating a custom plan to help achieve the desired results.
Talk with Dr. Malhotra about the benefits and possibility of pairing eyelid or eye lift surgery with other facial treatments to make your skin look more refreshed, such as with BOTOX Cosmetic or injectable fillers.
Dr. Malhotra and his team can provide more information on treatment costs, maintaining your new look, and much more.