What’s recovery like after a tummy tuck? Get answers from the plastic surgery experts who actually know what to expect. If you’re thinking about an abdominoplasty at Ann Arbor Plastic Surgery, this guide will help you explore tummy tuck recovery.
How Will I Feel After a Tummy Tuck?
Most patients find they recover quickly. You’ll feel a little better each day until you’re back to all your favorite activities. Most patients can safely resume all pre-surgery activities, including strenuous exercise and heavy lifting, within 6-8 weeks. You’ll be able to return to a desk job and light housework within two to three weeks.
Standing upright may be difficult initially. This post-surgery challenge will resolve as you heal. Your stomach area may feel tight, bruised, or swollen.
We prescribe pain medications to ensure a comfortable and restful recovery.
What Scars Will I Have After a Tummy Tuck?
There are two primary incisions for a tummy tuck. One incision is placed low on the waist, extending across the abdomen from hip bone to hip bone. We place this incision low so that it can be hidden under the bikini line. The other incision is around the belly button.
Incisions are most visible the first year after a tummy tuck. As you heal, the incisions will fade from red to pink to skin tone. Liposuction can be added to your tummy tuck to create a flatter, smoother incision.
As you look for a surgeon, pay attention to the belly button area in tummy tuck before and after photos. A skilled plastic surgeon like Dr. Ballard will hide this incision in the belly button so that it is practically invisible. If you see significant scarring around the belly button in patient photos, look for a different surgeon for your tummy tuck.
After Recovery, Enjoy These Tummy Tuck Benefits
Once you have recovered, you’ll be able to enjoy the benefits of your tummy tuck.
- A Stronger Core – A tummy tuck repairs stretched and separated abdominal muscles (diastasis recti) to rebuild core strength and restore a flat abdomen.
- Better Posture – Many patients report a reduction in back pain after a tummy tuck. This surgery strengthens the core, improving posture and alleviating back pain symptoms.
- Rejuvenated Abdomen – Restore the appearance of your abdominal area after pregnancy, aging, or weight loss. Many women pair their tummy tuck with breast surgery or labiaplasty for a post-baby mommy makeover.
- Flatter Tummy – Stretched skin and loose abdominal muscles won’t tighten up through diet and exercise alone. A tummy tuck is needed to tighten the abdominal area and restore a flat tummy.
- Customized Results – At Ann Arbor Plastic Surgery, we believe in a personalized approach to plastic surgery. Your surgeon will plan your tummy tuck to shape and sculpt your body and address your main areas of concern. We may recommend a traditional tummy tuck or the more advanced PowerTuck. Your surgeon may also recommend complementary procedures to enhance your results.
Every patient is different. Your surgeon will help you understand the benefits you’ll experience after a tummy tuck transformation.